On Feb. 9, the Standish Town Council unanimously voted to ban smoking from all recreational facilities throughout town.
The resolution, sponsored by Councilor Lynn Olson, cites that all tobacco products, including chewing tobacco and electronic cigarettes are prohibited “24 hours a day and 365 days a year.” Parks and facilities included in the resolution include Johnson Field, Standish Memorial Park, Mill Street Park, along with several more.
For a complete list of facilities visit www.standish.org, or contact the town hall at 642-3461.
Bus to basketball
The Lake Region High School boys varsity basketball team will be playing for the State Championship in Bangor on Friday, Feb. 26, at 9 p.m. in the Cross Insurance Arena.
Sebago Recreation is offering transportation on a coach bus to the event. The cost is $11 per person. For tickets, contact Beth Latsey at Casco Recreation to reserve your seat.
The bus will be leaving at 5 p.m. from the American Legion in Naples.
For more information contact Denise at 749-5259 or Beth Latsey at 627-4187.
• The Republican Caucus for Standish and Sebago residents will be held Saturday, March 5, at Windham Middle School from 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Windham Middle School is located at 408 Gray Road, Windham.
• Saint Joseph’s College is hosting Kids Night Out in the Alfond Recreation Center on Saturday, March 5, from 5:30-9 p.m. for kids ages 7-13. The cost is $12 for one child and $6 each additional child per family. The event includes swimming, a rock climbing wall, movies, games, sports and arts & crafts. Concessions are available. Participants cannot register before the event as it is on-site registration only.
• The Standish Democratic Caucus will be held Sunday, March 6, at the Standish Town Hall beginning at 1 p.m. All registered Democrats who are residents of Standish (in either voting precinct) and who will be at least 18 years old on Election Day, Nov. 8, are welcomed and encouraged to caucus. The doors open at noon, and the caucus begins at 1 p.m.
• The Steep Falls Library is hosting a bean supper on Saturday, March 5, at the Steep Falls Library. In an effort to accommodate more people, there will be two seatings, the first at 4:30 p.m. and the second at 5:45 p.m. The supper is sponsored by the library’s Board of Trustees with the help of the newly formed friends group. Adult meal tickets are $8 and children are $4. Tickets may be purchased in advance by calling 675-3132.
• A St. Patrick’s Day Supper will be held Thursday, March 17, from 4:30-6 p.m. at Standish Congregational Church on Oak Hill Road. The menu will include, corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, rolls, choice of beverage and bread pudding for dessert. For more information, contact Michele McCabe at email@example.com.