Raymond Fire & Rescue captain dies in motorcycle crash

Captain David Mains of the Raymond Fire & Rescue Department died Monday from injuries sustained in a motorcycle crash in Massachusetts.

RAYMOND — The Raymond Fire & Rescue Department is mourning the loss of one of its own this week.

Capt. David Mains, 48, died after a Monday afternoon motorcycle crash on Interstate 495 in Massachusetts. His wife, Jen Mains, a passenger on the motorcycle, received serious injuries and was hospitalized.

“Captain Mains was a dedicated member who loved his family, community and this department. He will be sorely missed and will leave a large void in our family and organization which will not be filled without unmatched extraordinary efforts, pride, and dedication which Captain Mains put forth every day,” Raymond Fire & Rescue posted on Facebook.

Raymond Fire & Rescue Chief Bruce Tupper said Tuesday that no date has been been set for services, but a full firefighter funeral is expected.

Tupper described Mains as a “great guy and a professional” and said that his loss would “leave a huge hole in our department.”

Mains, one of three captains in the 32-member department, was also a “great family guy” according to Tupper, who said the Mains family has four children.

“Not a whole lot of words I can put to it,” Tupper continued. “It’s just a horrible thing.”

Mains, a Raymond resident, was also road captain in the local chapter of Fire and Iron, a national firefighter motorcycle club, according to chapter Sargent at Arms Mike Doze of Poland.

“Dave was a hell of a guy,” Doze said Wednesday. “He walked into a room and his smile lit up the place.”

Doze said he’d known Mains since 2015 when the local Fire and Iron chapter was formed. He described Mains as “very down to earth” and said he would “give you the shirt off his back.”

Like Tupper, Doze emphasized Mains’ commitment to his family.

According to the Massachusetts State Police, Mains was driving a Yamaha motorcycle northbound on Interstate 495 in Chelmsford about 3:30 p.m. Monday, June 25, when he struck the back of a Mercedes-Benz sedan driving in front of him. The car apparently had slowed down because of traffic, according to the initial police investigation. Police were investigating to determine if any charges will be filed.

Mains was taken by helicopter to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Jen Mains was initially taken by ambulance to Lowell General Hospital with serious injuries and then moved to Tufts Medical Center. She was listed in good condition there Wednesday, a spokesman said.

“Jen Mains is injured and expected to recover in the Massachusetts hospital,” said the Raymond Fire & Rescue Facebook post.

The car’s driver and passenger were not injured.

Raymond Deputy Chief Cathy Gosselin called Mains “well respected as a captain” and said the department is “grieving for him and his family.”

Mains oversaw the department’s fire prevention and inspection efforts, she said, and did so with a very positive attitude.

“He always had a smile,” Gosselin said.

The Raymond department said it will share information about Mains’ memorial service when possible.

Windham Fire Chief Brent Libby said his department would be ready to provide coverage when a memorial service does occur so that the entire Raymond department can attend.

“We’re here to support them as much as we can,” Libby said Tuesday.

Matt Junker can be reached at 781-3661 ext. 123 or mjunker@keepmecurrent.com. Follow him on Twitter: @MattJunker.