Windham JVs tie Kennebunk


Boys soccer

Windham 0

Kennebunk 0

The Windham JVs played to a scoreless tie in Kennebunk Tuesday, their fourth road game in a row.

After three consecutive losses to Gorham, Scarborough and Cheverus, a tie was just what the doctor ordered.

“It is a step in the right direction,” says Windham coach Jason Adickes. “When you start losing a little bit it’s kind of easy to stay in that rut. A tie starts moving us in the right direction; we can take the positives from this game and go forward.”

Windham controlled the early part of the game, spending most of the first minutes in the offensive end of the field. They recorded the first two shots of the game but Rams’ goalie Chris Richardson stopped them both.

That was the case all day long. Any time either team managed to get a shot on goal, the keeper was able to save it. Richardson played the first half for Kennebunk and stopped all 10 shots he faced. Gary Bickford played the first half for the Eagles and turned away four shots. Coach Adickes was pleased with his defenders.

“If there is anybody in our zone that has control of the ball we try to make sure we play it well and clear it.”

Windham had a good scoring chance early in the game but T.C. Rothrock ran down the middle of the field to chip the ball away. The Rams got a lot of defensive help form him as well as George Jarvis. Jarvis single-handedly prevented several scoring opportunities for the Eagles.

In the second half both teams picked up where they left off in the first. Both teams defended well and moved the ball well.

“We had a pretty good game,” said Cody Winde. “We were making good passes and making good moves.”

Those good moves resulted in a number of scoring opportunities in the second half. But Rams’ goalie Chris Paige was perfect and stopped all five shots he saw. Windham goalie Casey Faley matched Paige’s effort. He saw six shots in the second half and stopped them all.

“I thought we played a decent game,” said Faley. “I thought we could do better, but we ended up tying so that was good enough for me.”

After 70 minutes of soccer and several near misses, neither team could get the ball into the net.

“Our team is always a work in progress throughout the season,” says Adickes. “I tell the guys we want to make sure we continue to improve.”

The tie is the first for the Eagles after three straight losses they are 4-3-1.